Jun 29, 2010

Bus rides and life's angels


So I take the bus almost every day. Maybe some of you didn't know that and when I tell some people they feel so bad for me and say if I ever need a ride to call them. Well, just so you all know, I really enjoy taking the bus. First of all it is the "green" choice as they say, and I am also saving a ton of money on gas (it was almost $5 every trip up to the U). I only use it to go to the gym because it comes right by my house and drops me off right in front of the gym (The U's fieldhouse). I think that in a city like this that we all should try and take public transportation at least in some part of our day, it would make the environment better. Oh, and I happen to love all the time I can use on the bus to read or text people. I don't have to drive at all and so it is like I don't lose time traveling either.

Well, the reason I had to explain all of this is because something marvelous happened to me on the bus today. As I was traveling to the U I was one of 3-4 people on the bus and I was quietly reading my book. Next thing I know someone from the back of the bus comes and sits in the row next to me. As I look over just to see what caught my attention out of the corner of my eye he says, "Hi, how's it going?" and he said it in that tone like he wanted to talk to me because he was selling something. I, of course, said hi and quickly turned my attention back to my book hoping that he wouldn't try to convince me to buy his knife kit or whatever it was he might have been selling. The next few moments were agonizing because I could tell he was looking over at me, and was waiting for me to look up or something so that he could talk to me, but I pretended not to notice. The bus then stopped and I heard him talking to me and I looked over as he was saying, "I just wanted to give this to you, you can take it if you want or you don't have to." He was standing there holding a card in his hand. As I looked at the card I realized it could be only one thing. With the picture of a video showing Jesus coming out of His tomb in glory I knew that he was trying to hand me a pass-along card. I smiled and just said, "Oh, I am already a member." He acknowledged what I said and ran out the door because we were at his stop.

After he left I couldn't help but just stare, not at anything particular, but just lost in thought. 'Wow,' I thought. 'He is really brave to have done that and he is doing what all of us members should be doing.' Can any of you say that you are a good member missionary? I realized that he must have talked to the other guy in the back of the bus before coming to me because I recall him talking back there before he came to sit by me. I am now calling him a little angel because he was such a great example for me. And then I realized that life is full of people like this. So many good examples that I see everyday and they are all just reminders of little things that I can improve in my own life.

Does anyone have any cool people like that in their lives? It could be anyone, for example like my friend Mike who reminds me that we should try and stay away from movies and media that are bad influences because of what they contain. Evil can be hiding anywhere. Thanks Mike! Anyone else?

Also please share any missionary moments you have because they can help and inspire all of us!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Tosh, I'm flattered (and now I feel like I need to watch myself so I don't look like a hypocrite). I have been impressed by your honesty and especially your ability to avoid contention. Elder Melvin J. Ballard said that was a spiritual gift. It is one I have sought for myself, and one I have recognized in you. I also admire Amber's ability to be considerate and make sure everyone feels included. There are lots of examples in each of my friends, and many strangers that we can learn from and acknowledge.
    Anyway, member missionary work is hard, but I think that letting you light shine and serving others is just as great a way as passing out cards to share the gospel. Of course, both is way good!
    And as far as public transportation, I think I will stick to my bike when I don't want to drive, how's that for environmentally friendly? :) But I would probably be more inclined to take the bus every now and then if I was a U student and had a free pass.

    ReplyDelete